Orange County (Then and Now)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Orange County was created in 1889. Soon, wilderness evolved into farmlands and communities supported by a year-round harvest of Valencia oranges, lemons, avocados, walnuts, and more. In the 1950s, aerospace and industry expanded here, and today the county boasts more than three million people. This collection features side-by-side historic comparisons of many local institutions, from orange groves to beaches to Disneyland.
will see in vivid detail, marches on (and the pictures prove it)! To give a brief history of Orange County, it was formally created as a political entity separate from the county of Los Angeles in 1889. The seemingly endless wilderness had evolved into irrigated farmlands and easy-to-live-in communities supported by a robust, year-round harvest of Valencia oranges, lemons, avocados, walnuts, and more. Agriculture, built upon the labor of many migrant workers, became the primary industry in the
and many other notables visited to enjoy the sand, surf, clubs, bowling alley, plunge, and other attractions. Starting in 1929, as the great depression set in, crowds became sparse and the Sale Beach gradually became a much quieter, tamer place, as it is today. (Photograph courtesy of the Orange County Archives.) Table of Contents Title Page Dedication Copyright Page ACKNOWLEDGMENTS INTRODUCTION CHAPTER 1 - NORTH ORANGE COUNTY CHAPTER 2 - CENTRAL ORANGE COUNTY CHAPTER 3 - SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY
It is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California, built in 1900 of hand-hewn Arizona red sandstone. During Santa Ana’s Centennial (1969–1970) it was registered as California State Historical Landmark No. 837. The March 1933 Long Beach earthquake (a 6.4 shaker) resulted in the tower being taken down. In the then image, debris from the quake is visible on the steps. At far left in both images is the Otis building at the corner of Fourth and Main Streets in Santa Ana. It was built
grant from which the community was founded. There is no Spanish mission in Mission Viejo, and the name is an improper use of a masculine adjective with a feminine noun. The correct Spanish term meaning “old mission” is misión vieja. A horse waits on the curb on the side of the Capistrano Market, once located on Verdugo Street in San Juan Capistrano, around 1960. Today a shopping plaza is located on the site. The famed Mission San Juan Capistrano was established by Franciscan missionaries in
vehicular) getting in the way, landscaping (both natural and man-made) that has reshaped the terrain, and more. And often these challenges simply add to the fun of doing it. I have shot then-and-now photographs all over the United States. It’s a true passion of mine to stand in the footsteps of another photographer and re-create what he or she framed up decades before. Comparing the two shots is a way to see back in time, to make it a tangible, measurable element—a most exciting proposition.