Vanishing Orange County (CA) (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Orange County formally separated from Los Angeles County in 1889, and there's been no looking back. Wilderness gave way to rich farmlands, where oranges, lemons, avocados, and walnuts made agriculture the new county's most important industry; the region was actually named for the prevalence of its citrus groves. The 20th century brought with it plenty of entrepreneurs, including Walter Knott and later Walt Disney, along with the aerospace industry, oil drilling, beach culture, and more. But the more popular "the O.C." became, the more the past began to be lost to development and sprawl. This evocative compendium of photographs revisits many of the places locals held near and dear, including the Golden Bear nightclub, Japanese Village Deer Park, Lion Country Safari, plus popular stores, restaurants, and, of course, the ever-shrinking farmlands. Many of these images are courtesy of the Orange County Archives, and others came from the author's private collection.
then McFadden Wharf (now known as the Newport Pier). Considered the last beachside cooperative of its kind in the United States, each day fresh catches are hauled onto shore around 9:00 a.m. and gourmet restaurants, shops, and private citizens arrive to purchase the bounty. Known as Orange’s oldest burger stand, Dairy Treet opened in 1949 at 292 North Glassell Street on the former site of a local family’s victory garden. For 50 years, proprietors have been serving up burgers and fries and mixing
Spanish Colonial tower. Mother’s, located on Pacific Coast Highway in Sunset Beach, is a popular biker bar and friendly neighborhood hangout. Rumor has it that this historic building used to be the ticket station for the Pacific Electric train line that once came from Los Angeles to Orange County beaches. A window in the back looks like it could at one time have been a ticket window, but the jury is still out on this one. Nevertheless, this is a wonderfully historic building to have still
today is four times as wide as this picture shows, and it is still backed up bumper to bumper on a regular basis. Back then there were no developments as far as the eye could see, just more rolling hills. This is Alicia Parkway, running into the Laguna Hills area back in 1968. Laguna Hills is built on one of the major land grants developed during the rancho era. Following Mexico’s independence from Spain in 1821, those who had served in the government, or who had friends in power, were given
image shows the east wall, which collapsed following the flood. Also visible is an unidentified man (perhaps Bruce B. Ives) surveying the damage done by this terrible event. This is another image of downtown Anaheim after the 1938 flood hit. The view includes the front facade of the third city hall building (1923–1980), located at 204 East Center Street (now Lincoln Avenue), along with graphic evidence of floodwater running through the street and over the sidewalks. The Balboa Island car ferry,
off Katella and Main Street in the City of Orange, c. 1970.. In this mid-1960s image are young women in Japanese costume feeding the deer at the Japanese Gardens and Deer Park, the old Nabisco plant visible in the background on the left. This attraction opened in Buena Park in the 1960s and lasted until the mid-1970s. In addition to the many deer roaming the property, the park featured Japanese Pearl divers, cultural Japanese shows, koi ponds, and other elements relating to Japanese culture.